Happy weekend folks! I’m still re-living the loveliness of last Sunday, when Juan and I swanned off to The Pig in the New Forest for a night, leaving Oscar back in London with my parents. You might remember that a stay at this self-styled ‘kitchen-garden restaurant with rooms’ was high on my Christmas wish list, and Juan kindly obliged me with a gift voucher; the rest of the cost we offset against anniversary celebrations (we celebrated four years of marriage this week, although it’s actually our 10th year together).
Anyhoo, I can thoroughly recommend everything about this venue, but especially:
a) the bed – so big I actually lost Juan in the middle of the night, and so comfortable we might as well have been sinking into a vat of marshmallows
b) the massages – of course, I had to have a massage, and this one was just how I like them: so firm it almost made me gasp a couple of times, and thorough enough for me to notice the difference into the next day.
c) the food – almost everything at The Pig is grown or reared on the premises. Yeah yeah, yadda yadda. But seriously: the eggs taste incredible, the meat is delicious (the bacon sandwich at breakfast was the best we’ve ever tasted), and I could eat their slices of bread like Maltesers – albeit Maltesers slathered in bright-yellow butter and sprinkled with a good pinch of smoked salt… Oh, and the cocktails are exceptional too.
1. I discovered The New Yorker‘s cartoon page on Facebook and totally identified with the one showing a sommelier asking diners, ‘Is this the wine you selected at random?’
2. I started to feel like I might be stealing Rose‘s identity, week by week. First I started mainlining The Good Wife; next I began hot-cloth cleansing; then just the other week I bought a pair of jet-black Jamie jeans from Topshop (and she’s right – they do fit better than my trusty Leigh’s). What next? Am I going to join a netball team and take up contouring?
3. I found myself shouting ‘Yes! Yes! YES!’ at this series of brilliant sketches that perfectly sum up new motherhood – check them out.
4. I rejoiced that Episodes is back for another series – I just love it. Matt LeBlanc’s cameo turn is so completely brilliant – it must be so much fun playing out this fantasy version of the worst ‘you’ with no consequences.
5. Oscar has started playing peek-a-boo with us, covering his mouth with his hands so that he can still see me, and then taking them away and saying ‘BO!’ We all have to act surprised; frankly, it’s adorable (sorry, when did I become a gushing mummy? Oh yeah…) Anyway, I love seeing him try to communicate with us – it’s so much better than frustrated tantrums. To combat the latter, I am currently employing the tactic of distraction – and I heartily can recommend it. My main form of distraction is pointing out planes passing overhead – he loves them, and luckily there’s one within sight about every 30 seconds here in London… #flightpathyeah! (Here is some more great advice from good old Supernanny.)
Have you been to The Pig? Where would you choose to go for a bit of R&R? What have you been up to this week?