I got into my car to drive to netball last Sunday at 5pm and it was still daylight outside; I almost wept with joy when I realised I wouldn’t have to turn my headlights on. Darkness is the aspect of the winter months that I dislike the most, and the fact that the days are beginning to stretch a little further definitely has me walking with a bit more bounce in my step. In addition, the snow and rain have cleared up (in Manchester, at least) and we’re getting that perfectly crisp, clear winter weather that I adore.
I went to Glasgow for work earlier this week, which involved a lot of travelling (which I largely hate), but it was worth it because it meant spending time in a city that I find completely charming. Apart from that, here are a few bits and pieces from my week:
1. Topshop’s Jamie jeans are my new everything. Until I bought them, I had never had a perfect pair of jeans; they just didn’t seem to suit me. Every magazine containing the advice, ‘find the perfect pair of jeans and you’ll look thinner, taller, richer and more intelligent’ I would want to throw straight in the bin. These are the gamechangers, my friends: high-waisted enough to keep everything smoothed and slightly flattened, super-tight through the leg all the way to the ankle, and with enough stretch to make putting them on and moving around in them really comfortable. Obviously, I felt like a granny when I went into the store to make this purchase, but luckily – now I know what size I need – I can order them online and leave the shop to teenagers and their bored boyfriends.
2. My favourite of the six personality traits that all women in leadership roles share? ‘Aggressiveness (we prefer the word Drive)’ – so do I, Stylist magazine, so do I, and I really recommend this short read; I think we can all take a bit of inspiration from this list.
3. I’m not ashamed to report that I’ve done a full re-watch of the first three seasons of Scandal and wondered all over again how Olivia’s predilection for pale-coloured coats, blouses and suits combined with her serious red-wine habit never ends badly.
4. I did some major and long-overdue life administration last weekend, including getting my first haircut in so long that I can’t even remember when the last one was. I’ve been receiving compliments about my hair all over town and now realise just how bad things had got pre-trim. I’m still not washing it until later today, though. I also finally spent the Bravissimo voucher Rachel bought me for my birthday and remembered how much I love shopping there.
5. That Grace Girl provided 25 beauty tips which all sound pretty nifty to me.
6. I was completely repulsed and fascinated by The Numerous Wonders of The Blackhead Tool. I’ve never removed a blackhead as such (though I do love a good squeeze) and am not sure if this is worth the money. Has anyone tried it? If so, please leave a comment below.
7. I wore this lipstick to a party last weekend and every single woman there not only demanded to know what it was but also that I get it out of my bag so they could try it themselves there and then. Truly my favourite lipstick – and at under a tenner, it can be yours too.
8. In the land of blogging, we have been taking part in a ‘linky’ called The List for the past few weeks. It’s hosted by two wonderful women (Hannah from Mums’ Days and Aby from You Baby Me Mummy) and has been a completely fantastic experience – we’ve found new blogs (including both of theirs, which are lovely) that we enjoy reading and have received visitors who have left us some really kind and thoughtful comments. If you’re a blogger and you want to join in you can do so here.
9. I think the number of steamed puddings with cream I have consumed this week is now up to five or six. I could pretend that I’m taste-testing them for the blog, but I’m not, so don’t expect to see ‘The Best Supermarket Steamed Puddings’ appearing here any time soon. I just can’t get enough of them.
Here at Everyday30, Rachel gave you no excuse for not exercising by showing you her favourite YouTube workout channels, I gave meditation a go in my never-ending quest to calm down, and Nicky got a little bit controversial discussing post-pregnancy weight loss.
What have you been up to this weekend?