As Rose mentioned last week, I’ve been spending some time in Manchester, catching up with her and my family. Have I mentioned that we’ve been friends since we were seven? Yep, that’s what I call a BFF. As if to prove the point, she welcomed me to Manchester with a goody bag that included the lipstick she keeps going on about (in pink and red), this awesome eyeshadow palette (that’s only £2.99!) and Sali Hughes’ book Pretty Honest – which by the way, is amazing. If you’re at all interested in beauty products and make up, I urge you to buy it, especially if you don’t know where to start. I particularly loved the section on daily skincare routines, because she explains so clearly what all the different products are, as well as if, why and how you should use them.
Needless to say, I’m a bit sad to be back home, but I am glad not to be sharing a room with George. I secretly love looking at him sleep (what is it about sleeping babies?), but I sleep so lightly when he’s in the room and he likes to have a conversation with me (or sing songs) whenever he stirs in the night. One memorable morning he lay in bed next to me singing Frozen songs into my ear while we waited for the sun to come up on his special clock and signify official ‘waking up time’.
Here’s what else has been on my radar this week:
1. You know Mothers’ Day is next Sunday, right? Even though it’s all very commercial these days, I know it’s important to my mum, so I normally make an effort. As we live in different cities, I usually send her a bouquet of flowers. I’ve said it before, but I just don’t think you can go wrong with flowers, for any occasion. Debenhams recently sent me the gorgeous bunch of flowers in the image above from their flower delivery range and I have to say, I was really impressed with the quality; they lasted for over a week! If you’re thinking of sending some flowers this Sunday, you can get 25% off their Mothers’ Day flowers with the code: DFBLOG25.
2. If you’ve never roasted cauliflower before, you need to try it – it comes out the other side a totally different vegetable. Tonight, I’m going to be making these pittas, which include roasted cauliflower and chickpeas with an avocado sauce.
3. I really do hate anything with ‘detox’ in the title as it’s usually so much BS, but… I did like this 24 hour detox plan from Popsugar. If you ever feel like you need to take it easy and eat lots of fruit and veg after a heavy weekend, then this is a good place to start.
4. George is probably a little heavy for this now, but for all you new mums out there, give this baby-wearing workout a try!
5. Are you on Linkedin? I deleted my account a while ago as I had put zero effort into my profile and figured if I was going be on it, I had to do it properly. The thing is, I know quite a few people who’ve had job offers through it, so I know it’s useful. This article on creating a killer Linkedin profile has given me the kick up the bum I need to revisit it and give it a go.
6. I bought a house with my boyfriend nearly three years ago and in that time I have come to love Ikea. Granted, the experience of actually visiting a store is pretty unpleasant, but you can’t beat their products. Also, the website is brilliant for design and decor ideas. Need convincing? Here are 37 reasons why it’s so great. (If you’re looking for more home inspiration, follow me on Pinterest).